I was looking at the calender today and realized that today was the day 5 years ago that my husband asked me out on our first date. We had fun reminiscing about it today over the phone, so I decided to blog about it!
I was at work that day, signing up for a class online. He just happened to walk by me and started some small talk. We had been talking here and there for the past few weeks, but we weren't friends really, just acquaintences, we just worked together. I didn't think much of it and went about my day and I got off work at 3:30. As I was walking out to my car I received a text from a number I didn't recognize.. When I looked at it, it said something like this... "Hey, it's Tink from work, how are you?" I was pretty excited because I had developed a little crush on him in the past few weeks, but then I thought, "Hey, how did he get my number?" I asked him and he told me that he had gotten it off of the computer when I was signing up for my class. Now, this would have been pretty creepy if it wasn't a guy I was interested, but I was totally interested and so excited he did it! We texted back and forth a few times and he said,"Hey can I call you tonight?" I of coarse said sure and waited for his call. In the meantime I had to be creepy myself and facebook stalk him:) I remember sitting in my room and looking at him and the pictures of his family. I thought he was SO handsome and that his family was so cute. He looked like a family guy and I loved that and the best part was that he was LDS. (I had just gotten out of a relationship a few months before with someone who wasn't the same religion as I was and it was really hard.) Right around that time I got the call I had been waiting for! I was so nervous, but talking to him came so easily, a lot easier than other guys I've dated. We talked for a bit. We got to know each other and I told him what I was looking for in a guy. I told him that I wanted a nice guy, who was LDS. His response was, "I'm nice AND LDS!" haha It was so cute and he had me from that line!:) He finally said "What are you doing this Friday?" I said, "Nothing yet." and he then asked me if I'd like to go out on a date with him. I said yes and he told me he'd let me know the details and that he'd talk to me tomorrow at work and we hung up. I ran up to my mom who was making dinner and said "Hey, check out this guy! He's cute AND LDS and I'm going to go out on a date with him!" haha We looked through his pictures and my mom said "He is pretty cute." I was SO excited!
I was at work that day, signing up for a class online. He just happened to walk by me and started some small talk. We had been talking here and there for the past few weeks, but we weren't friends really, just acquaintences, we just worked together. I didn't think much of it and went about my day and I got off work at 3:30. As I was walking out to my car I received a text from a number I didn't recognize.. When I looked at it, it said something like this... "Hey, it's Tink from work, how are you?" I was pretty excited because I had developed a little crush on him in the past few weeks, but then I thought, "Hey, how did he get my number?" I asked him and he told me that he had gotten it off of the computer when I was signing up for my class. Now, this would have been pretty creepy if it wasn't a guy I was interested, but I was totally interested and so excited he did it! We texted back and forth a few times and he said,"Hey can I call you tonight?" I of coarse said sure and waited for his call. In the meantime I had to be creepy myself and facebook stalk him:) I remember sitting in my room and looking at him and the pictures of his family. I thought he was SO handsome and that his family was so cute. He looked like a family guy and I loved that and the best part was that he was LDS. (I had just gotten out of a relationship a few months before with someone who wasn't the same religion as I was and it was really hard.) Right around that time I got the call I had been waiting for! I was so nervous, but talking to him came so easily, a lot easier than other guys I've dated. We talked for a bit. We got to know each other and I told him what I was looking for in a guy. I told him that I wanted a nice guy, who was LDS. His response was, "I'm nice AND LDS!" haha It was so cute and he had me from that line!:) He finally said "What are you doing this Friday?" I said, "Nothing yet." and he then asked me if I'd like to go out on a date with him. I said yes and he told me he'd let me know the details and that he'd talk to me tomorrow at work and we hung up. I ran up to my mom who was making dinner and said "Hey, check out this guy! He's cute AND LDS and I'm going to go out on a date with him!" haha We looked through his pictures and my mom said "He is pretty cute." I was SO excited!
This was the first picture I saw of him!
The next day at work (March 27th) I was charting outside a patients room and I saw him walk onto the floor and immediately got butterflies in my tummy and got a little nervous. He came up and stood next to me and we talked for a bit. We talked about our upcoming date on Friday and he told me about his plans for the week (it was spring break). He asked me what my plans for that day were and I said nothing. Then he said "Yah, my dad's really in to spring break and has something planned every night this week and tonight we're going bowling." I said "That sounds like so much fun!" and then there was kind of an awkward silence, like he was waiting for me to say something. I then said, "Wait, are you inviting me to go?" and he laughed and said "YES IM ASKING YOU TO GO!" haha! The way he phrased the question was so confusing to me and besides, I thought our first date was supposed to be on Friday so I was a little lost! Anyways, I said yes and he told me he would be at my house to pick me up that night.Festival of Tree's 2007
I went home and got ready and he picked me up for our very first date! He drove up in his dad's teal green 1965 Mustang. I remember like it was yesterday him pulling into our coldesac. I was so nervous! He came to the door and I answered it and said a quick "BYE!" to my family. I was too nervous for him to meet my family since it was just our first date, so I got out of there before they had the chance!:) They all watched from the front windows. I remember getting into the car and he gave me the CD's and said "here, pick a CD" I picked one out and stuck it in. He immediately started singing the song (and when I say singing, he was really singing!) and I started singing right a long with him. I couldn't believe I was doing this! I was usually so shy on dates and would NEVER do this, but for some reason I just felt so comfortable around him! We were driving along and I remember we came to the stoplight on Franklin and Eagle. While still singing, he grabbed my hand and that's when we held hands for the first time! Remember the butterflies you got when you held someones hand for the first time? I got those plus a million more! I couldn't hardly contain myself. We drove all the way to his parents holding hands the whole way and talking, laughing and singing.
Sometime in 2007
When we got there I was super nervous because 1. It was our first date and I didn't even know this guy and 2. I was meeting his family on top of that! Talk about a lot of pressure! We walked in the door and I remember standing at the couch and his mom came out and said "HI SWEET GIRL!" and gave me a huge hug. That made me feel a little bit better! We waited for his Dad, Mom and little brother to get ready and headed to Idaho Pizza Company. I remember sitting on the benches waiting for Mike's sister Michaela and future brother in law Brody to come in. I was so nervous to meet his older sister. Older sisters are a little scary sometimes! haha It wasn't too bad afterall and it was a fun dinner! Mike and I secretly texted under the table while we were at dinner. He said "You look gorgeous." From that point on, I knew this was going to be the start of something big! I had never met such a nice guy in my life.Riding in 2007
After dinner, we headed to Westy's bowling alley. While we were waiting in line for shoes and a lane, Mike and I were flirting and talking. He was standing in front of me and leaned back into me and out of know where, I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as a joke. I don't remember why I did that and to this day how I had the guts to do that. I guess I just couldn't contain myself!:) He just smiled and we continued to talk some more and he said "Hey, if you still like me in June, will you be my date for my sisters wedding?" I thought that was so cute and said YES! We finally got our lane and had so much fun bowling. I remember sitting in the chair across from him and we were talking to each other and all of the sudden he leaned in and kissed me. Right in front of his whole family! I wasn't even that embarrassed haha! We continued to gross his family out with our PDA the rest of the night!:) After the whole night was over we headed back to my house. He got out of his car and opened my door and we stood at the end of the drive way hugging. He pulled back and looked me in the eye and said with a smile, "Man, I could really get used to this." I have never remembered getting the butterflies like that before. It was the best night of my life.
Going out to dinner 2007
The next morning (March 28th) I went to work and when I was in report I got a text from him. It said "Good morning beautiful!" I was soo excited! When he got to work we talked about our plans for that night. He asked if I'd come to his parents house with him and watch a movie. I said yes and he picked me up again that night! We watched "The Pursuit of Happiness" with his family and cuddled on the couch. I remember feeling so happy! After the movie was over, he walked me out to the car and we stood at the door. We talked for a while and then at the end he said, "Danielle, will you be my girlfriend?" I was trying to contain my excitement as I said yes but it was pretty hard. After I said yes and being the funny person that he is, he then joked, "YAY, does this mean I get to update my face book status!" Coming from him, that's pretty funny since he has never been a huge facebook fan! We both had a good laugh and well, the rest is history!
Merritt's 2007
We have been inseparable since March 26th 2007! I think we've only spent 2 nights away from each other our entire time being together! What a wonderful first week that was and what a wonderful life we have together! I wouldn't trade that day he creepily took my phone number off the computer for the world! I love you sweetie!
PS We still ended up going on our intended first date that Friday and I was his date for his sisters wedding!:)
The Wedding date!:)




No comments:
Post a Comment